So i've always got a long list of things i'd like to try out with my work. Whether it's new gear, techniques or getting creative. Well this gave me the opportunity that applied to all of those and i'm pretty impressed by the results.
A little over a month ago I was sent an awesome gadget called the Pixel Stick. Imagine it as a single column of pixels on a TV. As you move it, it displays each line of the image. You can load an image or pattern onto an SD card and then set the speed for it to be displayed. Then set up your camera for a long exposure and walk the Pixel Stick through the frame. You need to try matching your walking speed with the the speed that the image is displayed so it will appear in the long exposure properly. That might not make much sense without seeing an example.
So below you can see the first ever shot I took with it. Light conditions weren't perfect but I was still blown away by the result!
After this initial result I was eager to see what this thing could do with some prep and the right conditions! My work schedule has been hectic since it's arrival so I haven't managed to get it out as much as I had hoped yet but this past weekend an opportunity presented itself that I couldn't miss.
I had a wedding booked where I'd been asked to shoot some photos for an hour or so around the main video. I've known the bride for years and we'd discussed more creative shots that she'd like to get on the day. So I asked if I could try something out as well.
On the day timing was tight as I was primarily filming but shooting sporadicly to get some specific shots for them. We had planned to take some shots with sparklers so I had the Pixel Stick ready to as the setup was similar. It was cold out so I didn't want the bride and groom to wait around for too long. I exposed my shot before the bride and groom came out so I could position them and take it straight away.
The night before I had loaded some 'Ribbon' images onto the SD card to use. I tested it once quickly with my assistant in frame before so I knew roughly where I wanted to 'paint'. I took two shots before moving onto other shots and just hoped that they came out alright. Here's a quick edit of the first one:
So all in all i'm incredibly impressed. It worked precisely how I wanted it to. There is the issue when zooming in with the transparency of the bride and groom. This is down to the 20 second exposure and trying to keep completely still when in the cold! To combat this i'll experiment with lighting the subject separately on my next shoot however when viewing it in full I love it! Even managed to get some stars in the background!